TrueType/OpenType format information
The fundamental advantage of this format is its independence from platforms, support of international character sets and expanded typographic possibilities. Each individual OpenType font contains all of the font information. The outlines, metrics, bitmap data are all in one data file, which can be installed on both PCs and Macs, so document interchangeability is maintained across different applications.Thanks to Unicode indexing, displaying of multi-language materials is simpler than ever, because each accented symbol or special character has its own position. It’s therefore not necessary to install several localised versions of a single font at once to ensure correct displaying of multi-language texts. Positions for 65 000 glyphs in a single typeface can cover not only all world languages, but also for example small capitals, non-lining figures, fractions, ligatures or alternative characters.
- System requirements for installation and operation of TrueType/OpenType fonts.
Minimal system requirements for TrueType/OpenType fonts:
Mac 8.6 + Adobe ATM Light 4.6, Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4 + Adobe ATM Light 4.3
Applications supporting extended OpenType features:
Adobe InDesign 1.5 and higher, Adobe Illustrator CS and higher, Adobe Photoshop CS and higher, QuarkXPress 7, Mellel, TextEdit, CorelDraw X6
Applications with extended language support:
Microsoft Office 2003 and higher, Keynote, Notepad, Publisher.
Applications not supporting OpenType:
QuarkXPress 6.5 and older versions, Adobe Illustrator 9 and older versions, Macromedia, Freehand, CorelDraw X5 and older versions
Installing OpenType fonts in MacOS
1. To open the ZIP distribution file, drag the ZIP file onto the Expander icon or right click (ctrl + click) on the zip file, go to open with on the menu and choose the corresponding application.
2. The contents of the zip file will be extracted and appear in a separate folder. Inside this folder will be an install.exe file, which is for Windows customers and another folder with the same contents as the install application. Open this folder to view the Windows True Type font files (.otf files). At this point, view the documentation supplied with the font files by opening the Readme.htm file.
3. Drag or copy and paste the OTF font files to the Library/Fonts folder.
4. To activate the fonts, restart the application – some applications may require a computer restart.
5. The fonts should now be active in the font menu of the application.
6. To create the correct output for the font, choose the font in the application.
Installing OpenType fonts in Windows
1. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel (In Windows XP, choose Start > Control Panel)
2. Double-click the Fonts folder.
3. Choose File > Install New Font.
4. Locate the fonts you want to install.- In the Drives list, select the drive and the folder containing the fonts you want to install.- In the Folders list, select a folder that contains the fonts you want to install. (Make sure you have unzipped them first.) The fonts in the folder appear under List of Fonts.
5. Select the fonts to install. To select more than one font, hold down the CTRL key and click each font.
6. To copy the fonts to the Fonts folder, make sure the Copy fonts to the Fonts folder check box is selected.
7. Click OK to install the fonts.
If you have problems with font activation or other queries, you can contact us.